Greater Maynard Revisited: The 1871 petition to the
|Date nails 28, 31, 37 and 52 from Maynard railroad track ties|
These nails, about 2.5 inches long, would have a two-digit number on the head, indicating the year. Decades later, when a maintenance crew identified a rotting tie, they could look for nails on adjoining ties to see how long a stretch was of the same era and might also need replacement.
The Masons have left the building: The Charles A. Welch Lodge, A.F. & A.M., has ceased to be housed in Maynard. Welch helped found the lodge in 1872. The lodge moved into the
The primary reason for selling the building was the high valuation and hence high property taxes placed on the building by the Town of Maynard. The actual sale price was well below the town's assessment. The Lodge has relocated, and will continue to meet as Maynard's Charles A. Welch Lodge, A.F. & A.M. Rumor has it that the new owner of the building intends to initially upgrade the building's 2nd and 3rd floors as office space, with option for subsequent conversion to apartments or condominiums, leaving the commercial businesses on the first floor intact.
By the way, the initials A.F. & A.M. refer to Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. All lodges in
The map is an amalgam. The current borders (i.e., 1871) are superimposed over a circa 1850 map of the roads, households and bodies of water. The railroad is shown, but not Main Street or Walnut Street, both of which were built before Maynard became a town in 1871. Sudbury originally extended only as far northwest as the Line of Two Mile Purchase; it was in 1649 that the town was expanded to the Assabet River. There is a theory that when Maynard's borders were proposed in 1871 the southeast line was planned to follow the old Sudbury boundary from 222 years earlier. Regardless, Sudbury opposed giving up so much of its northern land, and Maynard became what it is. There is no known map of what parts of Acton and Concord that the Maynardites-to-be intended to annex.