Saturday, November 12, 2016

Assabet River Rail Trail - Nov 2016

Photos on status of Assabet River Rail Trail, Maynard and Acton, Massachusetts, as of mid-November. There has been a tremendous amount of work done in Maynard, much less in Acton. In Maynard, all parts widened (resulting in removal of >600 trees) and all railroad ties removed. Two-thirds of the Trail has received preliminary paving (there will be another layer added later). Curb cuts and street-crossing lights are being installed. The old footbridge was removed and abutments are in place for the new bridge. In Acton, the focus has been on the boardwalks over wetlands in front of and to the north side of The Paper Store building, on Route 27. There is also work on the north end, from Maple Street. Click on any photo to enlarge:

This is the Stow end, at the Maynard/Stow border. In the opposite direction the future path of the Rail Trail continues as unpaved 'Track Road.' Access to this end is via White Pond Road. No parking allowed at the Trail end, but there is a lot a short distance south in the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge. Dogs (leashed) allowed on Trail but not in Refuge. 
This sand, soil and gravel site near the DPW garage, at the end of Winter Street, is a future ARRT parking lot. From this location it is a short portage to the Ice House Landing canoe and kayak launch site on the Assabet River.
Complicated construction at the 117 end of Winter Street, with the road on one side and the canal on the other. The canal connects the Assabet River to the Mill Pond. Water from that pond was used to power waterwheels and wash wool. The complex of mill buildings was a woolen mill from 1847 to 1952 (starting small, enlarged as years passed). The existing brick buildings of the mill complex date from 1859 to 1918. 

Road crossings will have flashing lights activated when someone wants to cross. This one is next to the former Knights of Columbus building. That building is on the site of  the Riverside CO-OP, which burned January 30, 1936.

Bike crossings will be indicated on the pavement approaching the crossing. The view is from the Nason Street intersection with Summer Street, looking west (uphill) on Summer Street. The brick building on the right is apartments, occupied 2004.
Acton, parallel to Route 27. The light-colored material on both sides of the trial is an erosion barrier, temporary until after the paving and landscaping are completed. This section is bordered on both sides by wetlands. 
Pilings will support a boardwalk over a stormwater retention pond next to The Paper Store building on Route 27, then continue along the north side over 150 yards of wetlands before reaching dry land again.

No comments:

Post a Comment