|Click on any photo to enlarge|
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Maynard had a number of pro-business town improvement projects in the 1980s. DEC's world headquarters was still in Maynard, and downtown businesses were bustling. In addition to the parking deck, the railroad berm was removed from the area behind what is now China Ruby, the Paper Store, the Outdoor Store, Video Signals, CVS and Gruber Bros. Furniture. That entire area became a parking lot in 1985.
Until the parking deck was torn down in the summer of 2014, the end closest to
Nason Street displayed a modest plaque "RAYMOND J. SHERIDAN, SR. MEMORIAL PARKING DECK." Sheridan [1909-1981] served as Maynard's Superintendent of Streets from 1942 to 1951, followed by more than twenty years on various and diverse town Committees and Boards.
Demolition of the parking deck was warranted because the estimate for repair was sizable, and those repairs would not guarantee a long future life. In
New England, the expected lifespan for outdoor parking structures is 30 to 40 years. From American Cement Manufacturers, "Corrosion of reinforcing steel and other embedded metals is the leading cause of deterioration in concrete. When steel corrodes, the resulting rust occupies a greater volume than the steel. This expansion creates tensile stresses in the concrete, which can eventually cause cracking, delamination, and spalling. Exposure of reinforced concrete to chloride ions is the primary cause of premature corrosion of steel reinforcement." Simply put, road salt, either directly applied, or tracked in on car tires, degrades concrete. The freeze:thaw cycle of water penetrating cracks adds to the damage.
Several websites point out that maintenance and repair in the first fifteen years will prolong a structure's lifespan at relatively low cost, whereas later efforts at repair cost more and achieve less.
Back to Raymond Sheridan. He was in part responsible for an embarrassing gap in Maynard's history. In 1909, the publisher of the Boston Post newspaper decided, as a promotional stunt, to gift gold-headed ebony canes to hundreds of towns in
Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, to be awarded to the oldest male resident. (And to be returned to the town's keeping upon his death.) Best count is that canes went to 641 towns.
Each cane had a 14-carat gold head engraved with the inscription, "Presented by the Boston Post to the oldest citizen of _____[name of town]." The selectmen were to be the trustees of the cane and keep it always in the hands of the oldest male citizen (women were allowed the honor after 1930).
Maynard is one of many towns that lost track of its Boston Post Cane. The tradition had been dormant for forty years when, in 1968, selectmen decided to attempt to find the missing walking stick as part of the town’s pending 1971 centennial. Through careful research, Ralph Sheridan was able to recreate the history of the Maynard Post Cane from 1909 through 1928. But then, by all accounts, it vanished from the face of the earth.
Ten years after the centennial, the Maynard cane reappeared when the children of Raymond J. Sheridan, Sr., were cleaning out his bedroom closet after his death. Raymond had apparently acquired the cane in 1962 from the office of the Maynard Public Health Nurse; she had gotten it after the last cane recipient died, and not knowing the historical significance, put it in an office closet. Apparently, he did much the same, at home.
Maynard's Boston Post Cane resides on display at Town Hall. In 1999 the Maynard Historical Society decided to revive the tradition of honoring “Maynard’s Oldest Citizen” by presenting him or her with a symbolic version of the cane in the form of a plaque issued by the Maynard Board of Selectmen. Historians with a burning curiosity about Boston Post Canes in general should consult http://web.maynard.ma.us/bostonpostcane. As of 2014, more than 400 towns either have their cane, know who has it, or know what happened to it.
Watertown set the record for lost-then-recovered, as that town's cane went missing in 1910, only to be returned in 2009.
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
|Male Winter moth fits inside circle the size of a nickel.|
Females are just under a half-inch in length.
The "winter" part of the name refers to an evolutionary strategy used to avoid predation. Most insect eaters (birds, bats, spiders, wasps and other insects) are active during warmer months. Winter moths shift the active parts of their life cycle into the colder months. Eggs are laid in late November and December and hatch in late March. The tiny hatchlings eat the beginning-to-open flower and leaf buds from the inside out.
|Female, note small wings|
Winter moths have an interesting dimorphism. Males have strong flight muscles, with an ability to pre-warm these muscles through shivering before cold weather flight. In contrast, females have only vestigial wings. Sacrificing flight capacity allows more than fifty percent of their adult body weight to be given over to eggs. Mating is achieved after the females climb up tree trunks and then release scent pheromones into the air. Males fly to them.
Winter moth larvae are generalists, but especially like fruit trees, maple, ash and birch trees, and blueberry bushes. Flower bud damage leads to low fruit and berry yield. Leaf loss can be so great that too many years in a row will kill trees, especially if dry conditions prevail during the time the trees are putting out replacement leaves. Treatment involves putting sticky products such as Tree Tanglefoot around tree trunks in November and then spraying a few times in early spring. There are organic treatments for those who do not want to use chemical pesticides.
11/14/14 update: After a few night frosts, moths are beginning to appear in Maynard
11/14/14 update: After a few night frosts, moths are beginning to appear in Maynard
|TreeTanglefoot on birch tree|
Gypsy moths occupy a different portion of the calendar than winter moths. Eggs laid in August hatch the following May. The rest of the life cycle is compressed into a few months. Nearly 140 years later, this pest's territory is still expanding westward and southward, although a number of introduced biological controls, including parasitic insects, have blunted severity of the outbreaks.
"Ecological release" refers to situations in which a species undergoes massive population expansion, due mostly to lack of predators, parasites and diseases. The best known examples are for species introduced from one continent to another, but can also occur when apex predator species are removed from the top of the food chain (think whitetail deer without wolves or mountain lions, and not enough human hunters). For invasives, the resultant population expansion from point of entry is fast for species with high mobility, slow for creepy crawlers.
|Moth menage a trois stuck in the goop. Males are attracted|
to pheormones released by females. Click on any photo to enlarge.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
|Plaque honoring Phil's contributions to Maynard|
(Click on any photo to enlarge)
Phil wrote up part of his life's story for the Maynard Historical Society shortly before he died. As he told it, he began sponsoring and coordinating Maynard's Christmas parade in 1966 because of an event from his youth. His early memories were of growing up in a Catholic orphanage. He described a snowy winter evening when the nuns told the boys that after evening prayers they were to put on their winter outfits. They walked to the center of town, where he heard a small band playing "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells..." and everyone joined in to sing Christmas carols.
In his own words "All of a sudden a huge red fire engine appeared around the corner with its sirens and horns blasting away. Standing in the back of the fire engine was a huge Santa Claus waving and yelling 'Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Ho Ho Ho!' As Santa faded slowly in the distance I was mesmerized, and to this day, oh so long, long after, I never forgot when I first saw Santa Claus when I was only six years old and living in the orphanage."
|Parade float for Happy Toes Square Dancers|
In addition to starting the Maynard Christmas Parade tradition, behind the scenes he also personally covered much of the cost of putting on the event, a responsibility since taken on by the Rotary Club. Phil also organized the annual Easter Egg Hunt at
and helped provide entertainment at the Fourth of July carnivals - same
location. At many events he was joined by his children and others who performed
as the Happy Toe Square Dancers. Crowe Park
Phil's main alter ego was "Fleepo the Clown," but he also put in appearances at children's and charity events as Grandpa Fleepo or Harmonica Phil. Many Maynardites remember Fleepo on WAVM's television channel as The Fleepo Show. Or in costume, on roller skates, handing out lollipops. Or seeing him drive by - in costume, on his way to an event - with a very, very large stuffed dog in the car as his sidekick. His license plate read FLEEPO. One story that made local news in April 1990 was that Fleepo was hatjacked of his signature antique top hat at the Easter Egg event. The hat was never recovered.
|Fleepo, stuffed animals, perhaps two of his three children?|
As to how his clown name came to be: Philip apprenticed for years with Chris Sclarppia, who went by the clown name "Bozo" (not the famous Bozo). Chris took the French pronunciation of Phil's name - think "Fe-leeep" - and from there mutated it to "Fleepo."
Out of costume, Bohunicky put in uncounted hours supporting Little League baseball, T-ball and the water safety swim program conducted at
He had served in the Army Medical Corp in Lake Boon Europe
during World War II, and appeared in uniform at Memorial Day and Veterans Day
remembrances. His post-war career was as an electronics technician at MIT's
Lincoln Labs, in Lexington.
He died on Veterans Day, 2004.
This is not to say that Philip Bohunicky was all sweetness and light. In his involvement in various town government activities and volunteer groups around town he was at times strongly opinionated and ornery.
|Parade float honoring 25 years of Christmas parades|
(photos courtesy of Bohunicky family)
Little is known about Bohunicky's early family history. One source mentions both of his parents dying when he was an infant, and with no other family member to take him, he ended up at St. John's Catholic Orphanage in Utica, New York, until he was eleven, and then with a series of foster families. His good luck was the last family insisting he attend high school, and then the G.I. Bill putting him through
. Massachusetts Trade School
The surname Bohunicky is Slovakian, and can be taken to mean from Bohunice," which turns out to be the name of a small village near the western border of the
Phil's contributions to town spirit continue to be remembered. Each year, the Philip Bohunicky Humanitarian Award is presented at the WAVM banquet to a member of the town who exemplifies the same type of dedication to his/her community.
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK!
128 pages. 54 illustrations
Publisher: The History Press
Price: $19.99 (e-book $9.99)
The book is available in Maynard at The Paper Store, as e-book at various venues, or directly from the author, who will be at the ArtSpace Holiday Sale, December 5-7, 2014.
I continue to write for the newspaper.
My more recent columns are posted at
In this, his second book, the content is 100% history. Chapters again cover the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, plus a focus on the unusual people and unusual businesses that prospered here. So, from the question as to why there was a mink ranch in Maynard, to whether Babe Ruth came a-drinking here when he lived in Sudbury, here is David Mark with his well-researched and entertaining answers to those questions.
Only in Maynard
Meet the Maynard Family
21st CenturyAND BUY THE FIRST BOOK!
MAYNARD: History and Life Outdoors (2011)
128 pages. 53 illustrations
128 pages. 53 illustrations
Publisher: The History Press
Maynard – Why “Outdoors”
Birds and Bugs
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Before there was photo-sharing via internet or smart phones, Flickr or Instagram, there were postcards. The Golden Age of postcards is said to have spanned 1905-1915, with a big boost after March 1, 1907, when the U.S. Postal Service established a new ruling allowing the back of a post card to be divided into two parts: half for the address (and a one cent stamp) and half for the message. This left the entire front for a photo.
|Colorized postcard of Nason Street circa 1920s (after trolley line|
was removed). Note two-way traffic and no trees.
The Maynard Historical Society has a collection of close to 500 postcards. Most are unstamped and blank-backed. Three types dominate the collection. Scenes postcards captured notable buildings and structures, such as the school on
Many of these postcards were used in the creation of the photo-history book "Maynard: Postcard History Series" (2005), by Paul Boothroyd and Lewis Halprin.
|Nason Street at present (courtesy of Erik Hansen)|
Note only one mill chimney still standing
Photographs for scenes postcards were taken by professional photographers sent out on the road by printers, many of those being German companies with
In this manner there are cards with imprints for local businesses such as W.B. Case Dry Goods and H.J. Dwinell, proprietor of Johnson Pharmacy. Other cards might feature the printer, for example: The Rotograph Co, New York/Germany. Or the photographer. Or have no maker's mark.
Arvid Blad - a Maynard photographer - specialized in portrait postcards. In an advertisement in Popular Mechanics magazine, Blad offered to print a dozen postcards from any photo for a price of 35 cents. In his studio, one of the popular background scenes he offered was a large crescent moon and stars on an otherwise black curtain. Bruce Lucier, owner of Marquee Photoworks, uses a crescent moon and starry backdrop in his portrait work as homage to Blad.
Blad also produced event postcards. His oeuvre includes the well known pictures of the April 16, 1911 railroad train derailment, with a crowd of very well dressed people viewing the train. As it turns out, it was Easter Sunday, and people were coming from church in their holiday finest.
Postcards will be on display in an exhibit at the Maynard Public Library, November and December. Entitled "Maynard Then and Now," this show will have pairs of images: an enlarged reproduction of the original postcard and a photo of the same site now.
The exhibit is supported by a grant from the Maynard Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency. Captions by Lee Caras, member of the Maynard Historical Commission. The reproductions and new photos are the work of professional photographer and photo restorer Erik Hansen, a photo archivist for the Maynard Historical Society and photo artist with a studio at ArtSpace.