|Site of bridge-to-be|
Click on photos to enlarge
On September 23rd
, Boy Scout Troop #130 – 23
strong – showed up at Carbone
, Maynard, to give it
a makeover. Troop members removed trash, repainted the sign, cleared the
woodland trail and replaced one of the bridges that cross the modest, muddy
stream which transverses the park.
|Completed ten foot long bridge|
The day-long (pizza interrupted) event was organized and
managed by Evan Jacobson as his Eagle Scout project. To earn the Eagle Scout
rank, the highest advancement rank in Scouting, a Boy Scout must fulfill
requirements in the areas of leadership, service, and outdoor skills. Although
many options are available to demonstrate proficiency in these areas, a number
of specific skills are required to advance through the ranks of Tenderfoot,
Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle. The top three ranks require
community service projects. Approximately five percent of Boy Scouts reach
This was just the latest of several Eagle Scout projects
that have benefited Maynard’s trails and conservation land. In 2015, Scouts
constructed a sixteen foot long bridge for the Assabet River Trail, accessible
from Concord Road
and Colbert Avenue.
Other past efforts improved ability to walk on the future route of the Assabet
River Rail Trail, and also clearing the historic Marble Farm site on the north
side of Maynard.
is very much a
“pocket park.” Located at the corner of Summer and Florida Streets, it is approximately 70 x 100 yards. The front third facing Florida Street
grassy area with five benches. The back two-thirds are wooded
and hilly, with a dirt trail that crosses two short bridges over a muddy
stream. The woodland is dominated by
maple trees plus a sprinkling of beeches, oaks, and a few dying elm trees. The
stream is a remnant of a longer creek that once started farther to the north
and bisected the land where the ArtSpace building now stands.
|Carbone Park: Art installation by Catherine Evans (2015). |
Trees at the entrance to the trail sport colorful plastic
fringes. This is an art installation “Thistle” by ArtSpace-based artist
Catherine Evans. This example of public art is supported by the Maynard Cultural
Council. In early spring the park is a good place to spy emerging skunk cabbage
– first the alien-looking spathes, followed by the unfurling of green leaves.
Farther up the trail there are examples of glacial erratics – rounded boulders
left behind by glaciers. One large boulder is spotted with lichen. The park has
a bit of an invasive species problem. The Scouts cut a goodly amount of burning
bush, which was dominating the undergrowth. The woodland closest to the grassed
area has some Japanese barberry, Oriental bittersweet and multiflora rose.
Toward the northeast border there is some poison ivy, but this is a native hazard,
not a foreign one.
|Carbone Park sign. Size ~ 1.4 acres.|
was named after Walter E. Carbone, a life-long
resident of Maynard, and according to the Maynard High School
yearbook from 1927, “Boy who has done most for the class.” The town’s
Conservation Commission was founded in 1967. Walter, who had served on the Planning Board 1951-1959, was one of the original appointees to ConsCom and remained a member until his death in 1993. The park was so-named in 1987 to
honor Walter’s twenty years service. However, the town did not get around to
erecting a sign until 2005. Twelve years later the sign was showing its age, so
the Scouts included repainting the sign as part of their makeover.
Walter is not the only Carbone who triggers memories in
long-time residents. Edith, his wife, served Maynard as librarian from 1953 to
1972. She was in this position in 1962 when the library got its own building
(now the police station). For many, many years, Uncle Pete Carbone’s Twin Tree
Café prospered on Powder Mill Road.
It was well known regionally for Italian-American food, with seafood a
specialty. Pete was actually Vito A. ‘Pete’ Carbone. He and Walter were not related. Anyway, in 1965 the business was sold to Pete’s
chef, John Alphonse, Sr., in time going to John Alphonse, Jr., always named
Alphonse’s Powder Mill Restaurant. Today, the building is home to the Maynard
Elks, Lodge #1568.