|Label would have been on a wooden keg or tin can|
of black powder. Courtesy Maynard Historical Society
|Millstone in the woods, likely deposited by an explosion.|
Ruins of a building, including bent one inch diameter
steel rods and broken timbers, about twenty yards away.
|Same stone, uncovered; estimated weight 4,000 pounds.|
Dimensions are 58 inches across and 16 inches thick.
Thoreau’s journal mentions the gunpowder mills several times. Passing by on an 1851 walk to
|Courtesy Maynard Historical Society|
|"DEAD SHOT" watch fob (Internet download)|
Click on any photo to enlarge.
Tax records show that in addition to the various mill buildings the facility included boarding houses for workers and also a small gauge railroad. The latter was probably used to bring raw materials in and finished goods out to the regular railroad. The engine could have been a fireless steam locomotive - meaning that it operated off a pressurized tank filled with superheated water at a site distant from the actual gunpower manufacturing buildings. This would eliminate the risk of a trains' smokestack cinders setting off fires and explosions. Oh, and the A.O. Fay shown as President in the label was the son of A.G. Fay, previous owner, who died in an explosion in 1873.