|Winter view, 10 Maple Street, Maynard, MA|
Learning the names of the litany of owners (and the price at each sale) required going to Middlesex County Courthouse,
, to leaf through records of
property sales. The oldest showed A&L Maynard Company selling the property
to Charles Brooks in 1870 for $2,430. Mr. Brooks was 56 years old at the time
of purchase. The 1870 U.S. Census described him as a widower working at a saw
mill, with four teenage daughters. The saw mill was most likely the one owned
by the woolen mill, near the Walnut Street bridge. Cambridge
The deed does not specify whether there was a house on the property at the time of the sale to Brooks, but Amory Maynard and his son Lorenzo owned other lots on
Street at the time. It is possible they were
building and selling houses in addition to owning and operating the mills. In
support of this theory, most of the houses on Maple Street and Maple Court have a similar architecture,
indicating they were all built at the same time.
Before 1870 A&L Maynard Co.
1870-1879 Charles G. Brooks
1879-1896 Alexander & Elizabeth Greer
1896-1924 Mary Hanna
1924-1926 Charles T. Partridge
1926-1953 William and Carrie Barlow
1953-1987 Thomas and Blanche Marsden
1988-2000 Craig & Tresa Jones
2000-Present David Mark and Jean D’Amico
At first glance that’s nine unrelated owners over 150 years, but a bicycle trip through Glendale Cemetery complemented what was learned from the deeds. Alexander and Elizabeth Greer bought the house from Brooks in 1879. The 1880 U.S. Census listed Alexander as a watchman at the woolen mill. Alexander and Elizabeth were both born in Scotland in 1827.
|Summer view, 10 Maple Street, Maynard, MA|
Before she died, Mary Hanna sold the house to Charles and Esther Partridge. Upon Charles’ death it went to their daughter Carrie Barlow, and in turn to her daughter, Blanche Marsden, who had no children. This time, three generations of the family owned the house for 63 years. The Partridge/Barlow/Marsden plot is also in the
The Marsden inheritors sold it to Craig and Tresa Jones in 1988. Jean D’Amico
and David Mark bought the house from the Jones in 2000. Glendale Cemetery
The house is white, with black shutters. The foundation is field stone cemented in place, topped with a few feet of brick. The scarcity of stone walls in Maynard suggests that most of the farm walls were recycled into foundations and chimneys. While the stone is likely local, it is very possible that the wood for the wide plank pine floors, framing and walls was brought in by railroad, as almost all of eastern Massachusetts was denuded of trees by the early 1800s.
|Painted loon (over front door) came with house in 2000.|
The property also includes a 25x40 foot, two-story barn, with what was a stall for one horse. Construction date unknown. A good guess would be that Brooks, Greer and/or Hanna kept a horse and wagon to haul freight to and from the railroad. As late as 1920 there were still more than 100 horses residing in Maynard.
Post a Comment