|Daffodil sculpture, at Marble Farm|
site during bloom peak.
Some of you may be familiar with the Bridge of Flowers (BOF; bridgeofflowersmass.org), in Shelbourne Falls. Starting in 1929, a no-longer-used trolley bridge over the Deerfield River was converted to a showcase of flowering plants through the actions of the Shelburne Falls Women’s Club. The bridge, 400 feet long, is normally open from April 1 through October 31. [The bridge is currently closed to the public because of the COVID pandemic; decisions on opening for 2021 will be announced at a future date.]
BOF, volunteer-operated, has a committee, a head gardener and an assistant gardener. The organization is funded by hundreds of annual donations of $25 or more, including a dozen or more in excess of $500, plus an annual plant sale. It has its own Wikipedia article! In stark contrast, TOF was launched with two $300 donations from Maynard Community Gardeners (maynardcommunitygardeners.org) and Assabet River Rail Trail, Inc. (ARRT; see: ARRTinc.org), used to pay for the purchase of 1,600 daffodil bulbs. The bulbs were planted at the Marble Farm historic site, which is adjacent to the north end of Maynard’s part of the Rail Trail, across Route 27 from Christmas Motors. Plantings were done by volunteers.
|$10 at various Maynard|
stores; profits to TOF
|Daffodils, April 2020|
At the May 2021 Town of Maynard annual meeting, there will be an item on the agenda calling for a vote to make Marble Farm an official town park and historic site. The site, a bit more than two-thirds of an acre is town property. The history is that Joseph Marble bought 140 acres of land in Sudbury in 1704, moving here from Andover. In 1730, his son John joined neighbors in petitioning that the land be ceded to Stow. And then, on April 19, 1871, it became part of the newly formed Town of Maynard. Joseph Marble’s descendants owned the property until the house burned in 1924. The genealogy: Joseph Marble, John Marble, John Marble, John Marble, then to daughter Sarah who married Daniel Whitney, then to daughter Mary who married Joel Parmenter. Their son owned it when it burned. Hence, some descriptions of it as the Marble/Whitney/Parmenter farm.
|Design for Marble Farm Park and historic site. Click|
on image to enlarge. Lawns and parking already exist.