Mill & Main has begun in earnest its plan to enlarge and make more inviting access to the mill complex from
|Building 10 of Maynard mill complex, in front of Building 12|
|Building 10 almost completely gone, mid-March 2016. Across back is |
Building 2, the oldest still standing. Click on any photo to enlarge.
|Brickwork on Building 2A. Note headers every 8th row.|
|Removal of yellow brick chimney in October 1956.|
There was a ladder up the outside. Men climbed to
the top to hammer pieces loose. Because of the
dangerous commute, they brought their lunches
with them. The entire process took 17 days.
At an undetermined date the remaining chimney, no longer functioning as such, was shortened a bit and capped. It now functions as a cell phone tower.
Working title for this column was "And the walls come tumbling down." That is a line from the chorus of the gospel classic "The Battle of Jericho." A near match is "When the walls come tumblin' down," which is from the 1983 John Cougar Mellencamp song "Crumblin' Down." Which is not the same as "When the walls came tumbling down," by Def Leppard.